When you buy through our links, we may earn money from our affiliate partners. Learn more.
Fairmont Austin; JSX; Nobu Miami Beach; Alyssa Powell/Business Insider
- As travel restrictions due to the novel coronavirus slowly lift, many hotels around the country are reopening with discounted deals and incentive packages to welcome travelers back.
- Hotels are also promoting new COVID policies to ensure the health and safety of guests and staff, including frequent sanitation of high-touch areas, temperature checks, and social distancing measures.
- These are some of the best travel deals across the US, from beach getaways to urban retreats at high-end hotels offering some of the lowest rates we’ve seen.
- Read more: Is travel safe? We interviewed experts on risks associated with flying, booking hotels or Airbnbs, renting cars, and more, plus ideas on safe vacations during COVID-19
Hotels are reopening their doors after months of lockdown surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic and according to Booking.com, many travelers are looking to escape to domestic destinations.
To lure guests back, hotels are offering heavily discounted rates with limited-time reopening deals coupled with stringent new COVID policies to ensure guests of the steps being taken to protect their health and safety.
From a $500 food and beverage credit at Hotel Wailea in Maui to a complimentary room upgrade and round trip airfare on JetSuiteX at Wynn Las Vegas, or even a complimentary room night at Hotel Jerome in Aspen when you book 4 nights or more, many of these promotions offer the chance to stay at high-end hotels for a fraction of the price.
As a travel writer, I’ve stayed at my fair share of hotels around the world and the hotel deals listed below are all from properties I’ve personally stayed in and would highly recommend. They range from mid-tier to ultra luxury, are located in desirable areas, offer flexible cancellation policies, and are currently featuring high-value promotions and packages.
In some cases, you’ll enjoy up to 46% off normal room rates, such as at hotels like Nobu Hotel Miami Beach, where prices that low are, frankly, unheard of.
All hotels included in our list have also introduced new measures to comply with COVID guidelines for reopening, such as limiting guest occupancy to allow for proper social distancing, requiring masks in common spaces, rigorous new cleaning practices, and limitations to amenities and dining.
If you’re wondering if it’s safe to travel and stay in hotels, it’s important to understand the risks. Experts we spoke to, including an infectious disease doctor, underscored what you need to know about a property’s common spaces and guest rooms, how to take extra precautions, and under what conditions you could risk exposure if you do choose to book.
However, without a vaccine, there is no firm guarantee on safety, and it’s crucial to follow guidelines from organizations such as the CDC and WHO, and wear a mask, wash your hands, and maintain social distancing. Additionally, check current state travel restrictions before booking, and stay up to date on new policies from major hotels.
- Is flying safe right now? Experts break down the risks associated with boarding a flight during COVID-19.
- Is it safe to stay in a hotel right now? An infectious disease doctor, a cleaning expert, and hotel reps all share what you should know before you check-in.
- Are Airbnbs safe? We spoke to experts, a company representative, and an Airbnb host to share everything you should know before booking someone’s home.
- Which is safer: Airbnb or hotels? Here’s what doctors say
- Are rental cars safe to drive right now? We talked to 3 leading experts to find out.
- Staying in a hotel will be very different post-pandemic — here are new safety and cleaning plans and precautions being implemented by every major hotel brand
These are the best hotel reopening deals around the US right now.
Nobu Hotel Miami Beach – Miami, FL
Book Nobu Hotel Miami Beach
This Japanese beach house retreat offers 206 guest rooms and suites, one of the largest Nobu restaurants in the world, a private swimming pool, and signature Nobu spa services (which are currently closed due to COVID).
Guest rooms boast a sleek, minimalistic design that honor Japanese traditions and feature elevated amenities such as a Nespresso coffee machine, linens by Fili D’Oro, Italian marble floors, waterfall rain head showers, as well as a bar stocked with popular Japanese treats.
In-room dining is also available 24-hours, with a select menu provided by Nobu Miami and Malibu Farm.
Deal:Hotel vouchers for a 3-night stay start at $579 for two travelers in a Deluxe Room and go up to $949 for four nights. Expiration dates vary by package and all voucher purchases are refundable.Purchase the voucher here.
TripAdvisorranking:47 out of 224 hotels in Miami Beach
Booking.comrating:7.6 out of 10
Pros:Guest rooms have a beautiful, modern aesthetic and the hotel has a pool that overlooks the ocean.
Cons: Dining options are limited but include the world-renowned Nobu and Malibu Farm, which is the farm-to-table eatery hailing from Los Angeles. The hotel is also located just outside of South Beach but within reasonable walking distance to nightlife and restaurants.
COVID status and policies: The hotel is currently open and accepting reservations. New safety measures include:
- Hand sanitizing stations throughout the property.
- Staff will undergo a daily temperature check and are required to wear PPE.
- All common areas, guest rooms, and back of house areas are frequently disinfected with an emphasis on high-contact areas.
- Furniture in common areas has been rearranged to meet social distancing guidelines.
- Guests will undergo a non-invasive temperature reading via a thermal camera at check-in.
- Buffets have been eliminated and in-room dining is now contactless.
Hotel Wailea – Maui, HI
Book Hotel Wailea
This intimate 15-acre, adults-only beach getaway in Maui, Hotel Wailea is an all-suite Relais & Chateaux hotel situated on a cliff, surrounded by lush greens and foliage.
Although the hotel is not located directly on the beach, free shuttle service is provided for hotel guests so they may enjoy a designated beach area with exclusive valet service including complimentary lounge chairs, beach towels, umbrellas, and water. Spacious 720-square-foot guest rooms come equipped with a kitchenette, deep soaking tub, and Molton Brown amenities.
Deal:The 72-suite hotel is currently offering a deal for 15% off hotel reservations that are booked 60 days in advance with rates as low as $535/night (a three-night minimum is required).
Food lovers will be interested in The Flavors of Maui package which provides guests with a food and beverage credit up to $500 for a five-night stay (depending on the type of room booked). Get a full refund up to 7 days before your arrival date.Book these deals here.
TripAdvisorranking:1 out of 9 hotels in Wailea
Booking.comrating:9.4 out of 10
Pros:Hotel Wailea is the only luxury resort in Hawaii that is exclusive to adults, which makes it an attractive destination for singles and couples. The Restaurant at Hotel Wailea offers ocean views and exquisite organic food sourced from local farms. It was one of my favorite meals in Maui.
Cons:While you can technically walk to the beach, it’s a long walk, so you’ll end up taking the shuttle service every time. There is a rental fee for the electric bikes on property ($49 for half day and $59 for full day).
COVID status and policies:The hotel is currently open and accepting reservations. The hotel has put in place new Health & Comfort guidelines which entail:
- All employees are temperature screened when they arrive to work and must wear gloves and a mask.
- Luggage will be delivered outside of the suite, upon guest request.
- Restaurant tables are placed at least six feet apart, and reservations will be limited to no more than six guests.
- Hand sanitizer is available to guests and furniture in common areas including pool and lobby will be sanitized in addition to POS terminals and check presenters.
- A/C filters are checked and replaced regularly.
Pendry San Diego – San Diego, CA
Book Pendry San Diego
In the heart of the vibrant Gaslamp District, Pendry San Diego is a food-forward hotel with a Gatsby-esque vibe.
The 317 guest rooms are adorned with chic furniture in earth-toned colors that embody California’s laidback style. The impressive food and beverage program includes sushi hotspot Lionfish, a casual beer hall with vintage bar games, and Vittoria Coffee espresso bar for your morning caffeine kick that draws both locals and travelers alike.
Deal:The Spirit of Now package offers guests flexible booking and a resort credit of up to $300/night (based on room type) and a complimentary room upgrade, subject to availability.Book this deal here.
TripAdvisorranking:5 out of 292 hotels in San Diego
Booking.comrating: 9.3 out of 10
Pros:The rooftop pool is a hotel highlight (the fish tacos are a must) and you can’t beat the location in the Gaslamp District. The new lounge, Oxford Social Club, and the hotel bar, Fifth & Rose, make Pendry San Diego a popular nightlife spot.
Cons: Noise from the nightclub and surrounding area can be an issue for some guests. There is a $36/night amenity fee plus tax in addition to a hefty valet parking fee, which is $51 plus tax.
COVID status and policies: The hotel is open and currently accepting reservations. The Pendry San Diego launched a new Health & Safety protocol program and have made modifications throughout the hotel to ensure compliance with the highest standards. Some of those modifications include:
- All dining rooms will be operating at a reduced capacity with tables set up to adhere to social distancing standards, along with disposable and digital menus available to be viewed on diners’ mobile devices.
- There will be more frequent sanitation and deep cleaning in high-touch areas.
- Each guest room will include an individual hand sanitizer and a packet of disinfectant wipes, and housekeeping associates are required to wear gloves and masks before entering all guest rooms, with services allowed to be declined by guests if preferred.
- The hotel will also be offering our guests complimentary guest access to ONE MEDICAL and their award-winning combination of cutting edge technology and healthcare providers, allowing them seamless access to virtual care even when away from home.
- At arrival and check-out, registration cards, credit card devices, room keys, and pens will also be sanitized with a UV wand prior to being provided to guests.
Wynn Las Vegas – Las Vegas, NV
Book Wynn Las Vegas
The luxury hotel along the Strip offers large guest rooms, world-class nightlife and entertainment, and a plethora of dining options, which is why it remains my favorite hotel in Las Vegas.
Luxurious guest rooms are almost double the size of standard hotel guest rooms at 640 square feet and hotel staff go the extra mile to ensure every guest is treated like a VIP.
Whether you’re looking for an epicurean getaway, an evening of entertainment, or a chill weekend by the pool, Wynn Las Vegas is one big adult playground that offers something for everyone.
Deal:Wynn Las Vegas partnered with JetSuiteX, the semi-private jet service which seats 30 passengers (we wrote about it here), to offer a heavily discounted deal called the Escape Travel Package. The deal includes round trip airfare for two on JetSuiteX, two nights in a Wynn Resort King room with a complimentary room upgrade to a Wynn Tower Suite King, based on availability, and a $50 dining credit starting as low as $609 total ($304.50/per person) for mid-week reservations and slightly higher on weekends.
Rates are based on availability but you’ll be hard-pressed to find a better deal in Vegas right now than this. Reservations are fully refundable up to 72 hours prior to the departure flight and non-refundable after then. Must book package by July 31, 2020.Book this deal here.
Trip Advisorranking:4 out of 276 hotels in Las Vegas
Booking.comrating:9.2 out of 10
Pros:Exceptional service throughout the property. The hotel is a Vegas hub for nightlife and dining so you don’t really need to leave the hotel.
Cons:Restaurants can be overpriced. Expect to encounter crowds.
COVID status and policies:The Wynn Las Vegas is currently open and accepting reservations. The hotel has taken extra precaution to ensure the health and safety of hotel guests. The updated policies include the following:
- Employees will be required to face coverings. Face coverings will also be available for guests at each resort entrance, Front Desk, and Red Desk.
- Slot machines will be disinfected hourly and chips will be sanitized before distribution.
- Touchless hand sanitizer dispensers will be placed in common areas throughout the resort.
- No more than four guests are permitted in the elevator and elevator buttons will be disinfected at least once per hour.
- Guest rooms will be thoroughly cleaned, disinfected, and sealed with a disinfection sticker that the guest will break upon entry.
Noelle Nashville – Nashville, TN
Book Noelle Nashville
Noelle, Nashville brings a level of sophistication and charm to the tourist-trodden Music City. With the Rare Bird rooftop known for bespoke cocktails and panoramic views of the city, Noelle is a destination for dining and drinking as much as it is a place to put your head at night.
Midcentury modern guest rooms are thoughtfully designed with hickory hardwood floors, marble tile showers, custom artwork, and pastel-colored desktop stationery.
Deal:The Romance Revived package includes a complimentary upgrade, a $40 dining credit at any restaurant on property, and 20% off Keep Shop. Valid for stays through August 31, 2020. Cancellation details can be viewed here.Book this deal here.
Trip Advisorranking:5 out of 195 hotels in Nashville
Booking.comrating:9.0 out of 10
Pros:Drug Store Coffee located inside the hotel serves fantastic coffee and homemade pastries, which is a great stop in the morning. The Keep Shop is one of the best hotel gift shops I’ve seen, offering a collection of highly curated artisanal goods and local accessories.
Cons:Rooms are on the smaller side starting at under 300 square feet and don’t have a ton of storage space.
COVID status and policies:Noelle Nashville has launched a new safety protocol which includes:
- Team members are required to sanitize after each guest interaction.
- Team members working with guests are required to wear gloves.
- Pens used for signing are disinfected after each use.
- Team members are required to wear a mask in guest-facing areas.
- Guests are strongly encouraged to wear a mask or face covering in common areas, when not drinking or eating.
Hotel Jerome, An Auberge Resort – Aspen, CO
Book Hotel Jerome
Located in Aspen town and loaded with charm, Hotel Jerome is one of downtown Aspen’s crown jewels. The brick facade pays homage to its historic past with charming interiors that have plenty of vintage and western flair juxtaposed with modern luxury furnishings.
The cozy hotel lounge features tufted plush seating, a fireplace, and taxidermy decor, ideal for après-ski. Standard deluxe rooms are homey and spacious at 525 square feet and come with a King-sized bed, dual marble vanities, and floor-to-ceiling windows that bathe the space in plenty of natural light.
Deal:With the Summer Longer, 4th Night Free package, guests who book 4 consecutive nights will receive the 4th night free. All reservations must be canceled 2 days prior to arrival date to avoid a 100% forfeiture of the entire stay.Book this deal here.
Trip Advisorranking:1 out of 24 hotels in Aspen
Booking.comrating:9.4 out of 10
Pros:The hotel is in a great location within walking distance to restaurants and town. In-room amenities feature complimentary snacks and Hermes bath products.
Cons:Rooms can be expensive, especially during peak season.
COVID status and policies:The hotel is currently open and accepting reservations. Health & Service practices were put in place and include the following:
- Hotel employees will be temperature screened upon arrival to work and will be required to wear masks and gloves.
- Wellness stations with hand sanitizer and sanitizing wipes placed throughout the hotel.
- Personal hand sanitizers and sanitizing wipes are placed in each guest room.
- The number of employees entering guest rooms for service will be limited throughout the guest’s stay.
- Guests can opt-out of housekeeping services for the duration of their stay.
- Restaurants will be limited in occupancy to allow for appropriate social distancing among tables.
- In-room dining menus will be available and orders can be delivered and picked-up in front of the guest’s room (rather than in room).
- Fitness center access will be limited and equipment will be sanitized regularly throughout the day.
- Fitness classes will be offered as private classes.
- The number of guests entering the spa will also be limited to allow for social distancing.
Hotel Healdsburg – Healdsburg, CA
Book Hotel Healdsburg
This luxurious boutique hotel in Sonoma County is a tranquil wine country gem that immediately puts you in a relaxed state with a 60-foot pool, a dreamy courtyard garden adorned with string lights, and an inviting fireplace lounge for pre- or post-dinner drinks and bites.
Earth-toned guest rooms are decorated with modern furniture and natural materials for a warm aesthetic, but the best part is the French doors that open to a private balcony.
Dining options include the famed Charlie Palmer’s Dry Creek Kitchen, which highlights California’s abundance of fresh produce and impressive regional wines. For a more casual option, Pizzando serves delicious wood-fired pizza.
Deal:With the Savor Summer package, book two nights between Sunday-Wednesday and get the third night complimentary. Or, book a mid-week stay Sunday-Thursday and enjoy a $100 property credit, and a welcome bottle of wine with the Summer Getaway package.
Packages are available for stays through August 31, 2020, and cancellations must be made 24 hours in advance to avoid being charged full room and tax. Starting September 1st, a 7-day cancellation policy applies.Book this deal here.
Trip Advisorranking:5 out of 11 hotels in Healdsburg
Booking.comrating:9.1 out of 10
Pros:Hotel Healdsburg is located in a prime location at the intersection of three sought after wine appellations: Alexander Valley, Russian River Valley, and Dry Creek Valley. World-class wineries like Jordan Winery and Seghesio Family Vineyards are within a short drive. Daily breakfast is complimentary.
Cons:Guests have complained that customer service is lacking.
COVID status and policies:The hotel is now open and accepting reservations. The hotel has implemented new policies in place including the following:
- Employees will have a temperature and wellness check prior to their shift.
- Guest temperatures may also be taken upon arrivals based on state and local health official recommendations.
- Face coverings and masks will be required if proper social distancing is not possible.
- All guests will receive a welcome hygiene kit which includes a mask, sanitizing wipes, and hand sanitizer. Hand sanitizer will also be available in public areas.
- The frequency of property-wide cleanings and disinfecting high-touch areas has been increased.
- Kitchens have increased frequency of disinfecting surfaces and all team members will be wearing masks when preparing, plating or serving food.
- Floor markings and plexiglass partitions have been put in place at check-in and other service counters to assist with social distancing.
- Room reservations are limited each night and will remain unoccupied for 24 hours between guests to allow for thorough sanitization and cleaning.
- Daily housekeeping upon request only.
- Made to order complimentary breakfast will be available for pickup or in the outdoor garden.
- Dining options are available with outdoor seating on the patio and hotel grounds and spaced at least 6 feet apart.
- The pool and workout room are open but at limited capacity.
- Bike fleets are available and will be sanitized.
Fairmont Austin – Austin, TX
Book Fairmont Austin
The classic Fairmont Austin located in downtown Austin towers over the vibrant city with 1,048 guest rooms, five restaurants and bars, a heated pool, and a world-class spa.
Guest rooms have floor-to-ceiling windows that offer stunning skyline views, and the historic, restaurant-lined Rainey Street is just one block away.
Deal:With the Stay Close package, every second night is complimentary for reservations until the end of 2020. Offer expires June 30, 2020.Book this deal here.
Trip Advisorranking:2 out of 224 hotels in Austin
Booking.comrating:9.2 out of 10
Pros:The massive hotel offers five different dining options and downtown Austin’s only full-service spa, making it a great choice for business travelers.
Cons:Some areas of the hotel could use an update.
COVID status and policies:The hotel is currently open and accepting reservations. Health and safety protocols include the following:
- Guests will be required to take a temperature screening upon check-in.
- Disposable masks will be provided to guests upon entry to the hotel.
- Plexiglass partitions will be placed at the Front Desk.
- 48-hour “settling period” between guest stays followed by cleaning and disinfection.
- In-room collateral will be removed with the exception of the in-room dining menu which will be replaced after each guest.
- All food and beverage venues will have reduced seating capacity and contactless payment.
- Guests will be provided with mask pouches to allow proper storage of masks while eating or drinking.
- Gloves will be provided and must be worn when using the machines and equipment in the Fitness Center.
1 Hotel Brooklyn Bridge – Brooklyn, NY
Book 1 Hotel Brooklyn Bridge
Ultra sleek rooms and an outdoor rooftop lounge overseeing the Brooklyn Bridge and New York City skyline make this swanky, waterfront hotel a favorite — read our full review here.
Located in the upscale neighborhood of DUMBO, 1 Hotel Brooklyn Bridge has become a luxury hotel escape for travelers seeking respite from the buzzing Manhattan, while still staying close enough to access it with ease.
Beautiful living green elements are featured throughout the property and amenities include a Tesla house vehicle that is complimentary for guests, free bicycle valet parking, and 24-hour in-room dining. Harriet’s Lounge on the 10th floor offers idyllic views of city skyscrapers and is currently only open to hotel guests.
Deal:Get 40% off your stay plus a $25 hotel credit with the Summer Solstice package. Reservations must be booked before September 22, 2020. For new reservations through December 31, 2020, cancel 24 hours prior to arrival and receive a full refund.Book this deal here.
Trip Advisorranking:10 out of 88 hotels in Brooklyn
Booking.comrating:9.0 out of 10
Pros:Grab-and-go cafe serving local fare from Brooklyn purveyors is convenient for morning coffee or afternoon juice and snacks. iPad Mini in guest rooms comes with the 1 Hotels app, which allows you to control temperature and lighting in the room, among other features.
Cons:There is a $29/night destination fee.
COVID status and policies:The 1 Hotel Brooklyn Bridge is open and accepting reservations. In addition to creating a new on-site role, a Director of Environmental Health & Safety, the hotel also unveiled new health and safety protocols to include:
- Each staff member will be required to take a COVID test prior to returning to work, complete new onboard training, and pass a written exam on the new safety protocols.
- Employees will have their temperature taken and be provided with hand sanitizers and PPE (including masks) to be worn at all times.
- All public spaces will be properly sanitized with hospital-grade EPA approved agents and UV technologies.
- The hotel has partnered with Dyson to provide in-room air filtration systems with UV and HEPA filters, available upon request.
- All guest luggage will be sanitized curbside using UV technology before it enters the property.
- Masks will be provided to guests if needed and temperature scans will be required of all guests and visitors who enter the hotel.
- Guests are encouraged to download the 1 Hotel app for contactless service communication i.e. front desk communication, concierge support, order in-room dining, and check-out etc.
- All guest rooms, public areas and elevators will be sanitized using hospital-grade EPA approved agents and virus-eliminating technologies.
Montage Palmetto Bluff – Bluffton, South Carolina
Book Montage Palmetto Bluff
This sprawling 20,000-acre retreat in South Carolina Lowcountry oozes Southern charm. Choose one of the private village homes, quaint cottages, well-equipped suites or guest rooms at the Inn to experience South Carolina’s signature hospitality.
There are eight dining venues on-site offering a good mix of high-end and casual restaurants serving a variety of cuisines, plus a 13,000 square-foot spa. However, the main attraction at Montage Palmetto Bluff is the plethora of activities available including kayaking, paddleboarding, saltwater fishing charters, scenic boat tours, a Jack Nicklaus Signature golf course, a Palmetto Bluff Shooting Club, a Palmetto Bluff Conservancy tour, and four-lane bowling alley in Boundary Bowling & Game Room.
Deal:The Spirit of Now package includes a resort credit up to $300 per night and a complimentary upgrade upon check-in. A deposit is not required at the time of booking and must be canceled 48 hours prior to arrival to receive a full refund. Book this deal here.
Trip Advisorranking:1 out of 6 hotels in Bluffton
Booking.comrating:9.2 out of 10
Pros:The Montage Palmetto Bluff is perfect for large groups or families. The hotel has a laundry list of amenities and activities available for hotel guests.
Cons:The hotel is a 35-minute drive from Savannah and a two-hour drive from Charleston, so there is not much to do in the surrounding area and the hotel can feel a bit sleepy.
COVID status and policies:The hotel is currently open and accepting reservations. Enhanced wellness and safety measures have been implemented to include:
- Increased frequency of sanitization and deep cleaning for high-touch areas.
- Integration of the latest cleanliness technologies, including the use of electrostatic sprayers, UV wands and devices and particulate level air filtration systems.
- Reduction in capacity through thoughtful social distancing design for all restaurants, bars, lounges, gyms, pools and public areas.
- Incorporation of contactless services/deliveries whenever possible.
- Complimentary guest access to ONE MEDICAL, allowing seamless virtual care while away from home.
- Complimentary hand sanitizer and facial coverings provided to all guests and meeting attendees.
Subscribe to our newsletter.
You can purchase syndication rights to this story here.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Insider Reviews team. We highlight products and services you might find interesting. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partners. We frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. This does not drive our decision as to whether or not a product is featured or recommended. We operate independently from our advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback. Email us at email@example.com.
Insider Picks 2020